Thursday, February 14, 2008

Perfect Past? Or Perfect Memories?

So, I know today is Valentine's Day and everything, but I really don't feel like writing about it. I've never been into the 'Hallmark Holiday', and I don't plan on changing that now.
With that said, I have come to realize something - I hate the cold.
The past few winters here have made me miss Vermont; I thought I missed the cold (I know everyone here thinks winters here are really cold and snowy, I completely disagree). Then, I got stuck standing outside during the wind-chill advisory on Monday, and I didn't like it at all.
I've been thinking about it the past few days, and I think I figured it out. It wasn't the cold I missed, it was the familiarity - the routine. I was canonizing the cold because I didn't like that things had changed.
It's kind of like when a movie doesn't seem as good because a friend told you how awesome it would be.
I seem to do this a lot; I only remember the good things about Vermont, because it's where I grew up. Most of the time I'm happy about this; why would I want to dwell on the negative? But other times, I feel that by glorifying the past, I'll just set myself up for disappointment.

1 comment:

MemphisKell said...

You have a writer's flair and an artist's eye. I like reading your entries.